Friday 13 January 2012

...Bosnia

Bosnia

This picture shows you Sarajevo in all it's snowy beauty and a deliriously happy me! Not only have I fallen in love with Sarajevo but I have been delighted by the culinary treats we've been served up.

 
All over Bosnia you see the word cevapi which is basically a pocket of fluffy bread with about ten grilled sausages of beef stuffed inside and some raw onion on the side. The meat is cooked on a large grill and they roll it around with the bread so that the bread absorbs all the lovely juices. It is delicious but really, it's too much meat, even when you´re freezing your little feet off.
Cevapi.

We spent our time in Sarajevo in awe of the city and it's bloody history which is pretty much evident wherever you look. Because of the weather we ducked in and out of coffee shops, keeping warm with thick, gritty Bosnian coffee and the Bosnian delicacy of baked apple filled with walnut paste and topped with squirty cream which went down very nicely indeed, thank you very much. It also had the added bonus of being part of our ´five a day´which surely canceled out some of that meat.

Finn and Pudding

Our visit to Mostar to see the famous bridge that had been destroyed in the Balkans conflict (and now magnificently restored) enabled us to try steak with sweet cream cheese and a fried egg on top. It shouldn't work. But it kind of does! Unfortunately ´breaded brains´ were off the menu that day. I can also highly recommend the local wine which doesn't seem to give you a hangover.


Steak and chips, Bosnian style. Oh, and the famous bridge in the background
In Bosnia we've stayed in some great hostels with kitchens so we've been able to cook a fair bit. Not only is this saving us some money but it's also allowed me to indulge in my guilty pleasure that is ´foreign supermarkets´.

And so, we move onwards. We are currently in a rainy (yet still very beautiful) Dubrovnik in Croatia and heading to Albania with a quick stopover in Montenegro. We have 24 hours to hunt out the cherry strudel which apparently, they do very well. Can't wait.

Me and lunch in Dubrovnik - I should point out I am holding Finn's lunch too

3 comments:

  1. I'm hungry! Lots of love guys. You're not missing anything here x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to shatter your illusions, Nic, but I doubt whether apple strudel with walnut paste and squirty cream counts as one of your 'five a day'. Also, me and Greg had pizza in the restaurant in Mostar where you're photographed stuffing yourself! Isn't it an amazing view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys....for the moment.... I think that the Bosnian cousine is winning.... of course not counting the huge sausage that will be always first for me....last position for the cevapi...it even could be delicious but it is not so photogenic....

    I ll be waiting for your return here in London with Margi... in fact she is attending her last phd year at the University close to your former house in White Chapel and...as far as concerns me....I'm going to stay here for four/five months in order to accomplish the desperate mission (both of you could have a part in that) of improving my english skill once and for all.

    take care

    Dante

    ReplyDelete