Sunday 8 January 2012

...Belgium, Germany and Croatia

Belgium
Horrific picture but it does the job. Crisps + `pickles`. Dream combo.

Germany

We had one night in Frankfurt and we knew that there was only one thing to do. Find sausages. I was also on the lookout for `Handkas mit musik`, otherwise known as `pickled cheese` (not as romantic sounding, I know). Tired and hungry after a long day travelling from London, we walked to the centre, happy if we found a touristy place that would serve us up some good German grub. And lo and behold there in the the middle of a large square was an `alpine lodge`! What could be more touristy? One look at the menu and we knew what we had to do. We squeezed ourselves in between an American couple and a Chinese family. `Authentic` might not be the right word to use here but we were in for a treat. We ordered two pints of Apfelwein (flat, sour cider) and devoured the pickled cheese that had been taunting me in my dreams ever since I`d read about it. Describing it is difficult but I`d say it`s like an edam that`s been sat out in the sun for a bit and then drenched in vinegary oil with caraway seeds and onions. Amazing! We also decided to share a plate of sausages with mustard, sweet gherkins and lemony potato salad. Thank god we shared.  We were fit to burst and very pleased with ourselves.

Pickled cheese! With a plate of sausages in the background
The tiny Chinese lady next to us had the guts to order pork knuckle with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. I never knew that pigs had such huge knuckles! She did an appalling job of finishing (although she may have been put off by us watching). I wish I`d got a picture. Really, it was massive!


Croatia

Borek, borek and more borek! We have been indulging in our love of the curled sausage of filo pastry (usually filled with cheese or `meat`). I also ate veal stew with rice (nicer than it sounds). However, I couldn't finish my dinner because the restaurant was playing Tom Jone`s greatest hits. I seemed to lose my appetite when `Sex Bomb´ came on. Go on, try eating during that song. It`ll make queasy, trust me.  The highlight of Croatia so far has, without a doubt, been the MASSIVE SAUSAGE we saw in the market. It was a special moment.
 
Look at it! It`s massive!
Whilst in Zagreb, we went to a fantastic museum called the Museum of Broken Relationships.  The exhibits consist of mementos people have given of their past relationships along with a short text explaining their significance. It got me thinking what memento I would give the museum from our relationship (still together don`t worry, this is hypothetical). And I think I`d just do a shop in Lidl`s and drop the bag off.

Coming soon, Bosnia! Bosnia! What on earth do they eat in Bosnia?! I don`t know! But I`ll find out for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment